Friday, October 29, 2010

Not the Term I Would Use...

There has been a lot of buzz among the transgender radicals over the recent episode of Glee that featured the Rocky Horror Picture Show.  Apparently, they are all upset because the show modified some of the lyrics, and they had a female playing the role of "Dr. Frank-N-Furter," the "sweet transvestite from transsexual Transylvania."


Lead gender fascist, "Autumn" Sandeen is absolutely livid that they changed "transsexual" to "sensational" on the show, writing about this in an article entitled Just Call Me "Sensational".  Now, as I said, that is not the term I would use for Sandeen.  


I must say, I am puzzled.  Why would anyone who claims to be a "woman" want to be remotely associated with that movie, and especially that character?  Okay, granted, we are talking about someone like Sandeen, so maybe that does make sense.


Personally, when I saw the movie, back around 1979, I was somewhat repulsed by the whole thing.  I found it all a bit much, and found nothing to relate to.  I was pretty deep in denial about my transsexualism, but I still felt it was not remotely related to that condition.


It says a lot about the true nature of "transgender" and its complete disconnect from "transsexual" that anyone would remotely object to not being associated with this travesty.

4 comments:

Aria Blue said...

I thought the same thing when I read those complaints over at Pam's. I don't understand the GLBT fascination with the show and I don't watch it, but this is one of those funny things that happen when certain people feel left out. Notice that this is really about a certain someone feeling like trans* is increasingly being marginalized within the gay community, thus reducing this person's stature within it.

I'm thrilled that gay camp is being 'de transed', and transsexual is being removed from the gay lexicon. It's part of everything dissolving over there and people getting their priorities straight. But I think in this case it's simply because the show's creators just wanted to remove the word sex from everything. Which is funny because the whole Rocky Horror thing is about sex, but its ok as long as we don't say the word? That's a whole topic in itself.

The alternative view is that they didn't want to disrespect transsexuals, which has increasing distance and medical legitimacy apart from gay performance art like drag. Wouldn't that be nice? They don't mind poking fun at trannies because they recognize it is gay behavior, and therefore fair game as part of their family. Who can say?

Someone should ask for clarification. I'd love to read how some activist complained to management about NOT being slurred and insulted, lol.

Just Jennifer said...

Yes, I would love to see how they would justify complaining about not being included. Before the show aired (and no, I don't watch it either) I assumed that it was going to be about them getting in trouble for doing that show. Obviously they touched on that some, but not as much as I expected.

Personally, I think it would be highly inappropriate for a high school play, but hey, I admit, I am a bit old fashioned.

I have been amused by the growing claim that "trannie" is okay because it is a "gay" term. It is offensive to transsexuals. If the transgender crowd want to be called that, it is their business. But it becomes another example of why I don't want to be identified as transgender.

Anonymous said...

This makes sense to me.

Sandeen and his ilk see the change as Cis-Washing along with the rest of the gender perverts.

Angel said...

I'm glad that they removed the word "transsexual" from the Sweet Transvestite number. Inclusion of that word in a song about a transvestite, sung by a man in garish drag was just plain wrong.